Wednesday 16 May 2012

"Research" - Some T-Gauge Links and Resources

I mentioned in my previous post that I had looked at a number of websites before taking the plunge and actually purchasing some T-Gauge items. Here are some of the sites that I have looked at in my 'research' into T-Gauge:
  • T Gauge Headquarters
    A very thorough information site by David K. Smith, a veteran small-scale model railroader. I highly recommend this site to any newcomers to T-Gauge, or to those interested in finding out more about T-Gauge.
  • TGauge.com
    Despite the ".com", this is a Scottish (UK) retailer. I have "pre-ordered" their exclusive HST-125 set. The photos of their prototype shows incredible detail for such a tiny model! I am hoping that the production sets are of similar, or better, quality.
  • TrainAidsA
    A US retailer.
  • Hobbies Plus
    An Australian (!!) retailer, located in Stratford, Victoria. I suspect that the retail stand I saw with the T-Gauge demonstration at the Springwood Model Show in 2009 belonged to Hobbies Plus.
  • Pokara 1:450 Paper Craft (Japanese)
    Some 1:450 scale paper buildings - print and construct!
From T Gauge Headquarters, some important info I have gleaned is that T-Gauge was developed by KK Eishindo of Japan, but is now manufactured under license by "The Railway Shop" of Hong Kong, and is available for purchase  from a number of dealers worldwide (some of whom I have documented above).

Of further interest to me are the various T-Gauge items available at the Rapid Prototyping site "Shapeways" (Search for "1:450" or "T Gauge" on the Shapeways site). Shapeways takes advantage of 3D printing technology to allow people to submit 3D models to be printed and/or sold to others - sort of like a printing service for 3D objects!

Also, as part of my 'research', I also looked at a number of various blogs by T-gauge modellers:
  • Victorian T-Gauge
    Documents the creation of a modular T-Gauge layout based on the Orbost-area in Victoria, Australia. The (Aussie) modeller responsible for this site has included a number of wonderful details on their website, including 1:450 scale fences and power poles complete with wire!! Yikes!
  • 1:450
    David K. Smith's blog separate from T Gauge Headquarters
  • An Adventure In T Scale
    A Blog by "The Other Lionel". Has some excellent information about using paper buildings in a T-Scale layout
I have also been lurking on the "Talking T-Gauge" Forums, reading about the experiences of others and products that are available.

Having gleaned a great deal of information from the above sites, I have now pre-ordered a HST-125 set from TGauge.com, and having discovered how hard it is to locate Eishindo's "starter kit", have purchased a set from TrainAidsA. Once these items arrive, I am hoping to make further purchases of perhaps some buildings, track, scenery and other accessories (Hopefully from the local dealer, Hobbies Plus!).

Happy modelling!
-- J.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments on this blog are moderated by a human before they are displayed on this blog, it wouldn't be like this if spammers did not exist....